these are absolutely my opinions and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Still Water Community Church.

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Knowing what's best.....

So many times I warn my kids about the potential outcomes of a decision they are about to make. Sometimes I speak from experience and sometimes I just try to use the discernment that God gives us. Of course, in spite of old cliches, dad does not always know best.

We let our own desires, and human will get in the way so many times. It is so easy to justify our actions and convince ourselves that we are right. We even do this many times when asking God for direction and guidance. I have actually convinced myself that God is agreeing with my assessment of situations when I know good and well he is not.

I was reading in 1 Samuel 8 when the Israelites were asking Samuel to choose a king for them. They were tired of following God, a heavenly king that called them to a life of holiness, and not having a king like all of the nations around them that could make them politically powerful. They wanted military might, political status, wealth...whatever....God was just not enough anymore. Even after Samuel warned them of the dangers of what they were asking, they persisted. And God allowed it to happen. He allowed his young child to reach up and touch the hot stove.

How many times as churches and/or individuals do we do this very thing. It's not enough to follow God's plan. We come up with something better. Or, we someone else and want to be like them. Bigger buildings, more "relevancy," newer, more hip styles and presentations....you name it. These things are all good when God directed, but dangerous territory when part of some sort of earthly competition.

It's just been on my heart that sometimes we lose sight of what it is God has for us due to the tunnel vision we develop for own desires.

On the lighter side of life.....school is off to a good start in our house. We had one more "Meet the Teacher" night last night. 2 weeks in....everyone is doing great. Of course they are.....there haven't been any "major" grades as of yet. This is a big test week, so we'll see.

I'm so glad football is here. I'm tired of all of the filler sports. Nothing quite like high school football on friday night, college gameday on saturday, nfl on sunday, and monday night football. i'm a happy man.....kelly's getting a lot of reading done.

I'm out.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It always brightens my day to wake up and read a new According to Doug.