these are absolutely my opinions and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Still Water Community Church.

Friday, June 05, 2009

A Tribute to.....

There are so many things I like about summer. Kids out of school, camp, mission trips, vacation...just too many things to list. One of the Schmidt family favorites though is the concert at the harbor nights in rockwall. We love going to concerts anyway, but free is even better. We'll hit a couple of big shows a summer, but hardly ever miss a Thursday night at the harbor.

Last night we saw Blaze of Glory....a Bon Jovi tribute band. There are a lot of tribute bands that play out there this summer (Voodoo Blue, Petty Theft, Life in the Fast Lane), but after last night I started thinking about a few things.

Thanks to the movie Rock Star, and stories like that of Arnel Pineda (lead singer of Journey) everyone thinks that they have a chance at really being the person they are playing tribute to in their band. Blaze of Glory is a good band, and the guy sounds quite a bit like Jon Bon Jovi....but he's not! No matter how hard he tried...no one believed they were actually watching Bon Jovi. But I bet there were thousands of people that went to their cars, homes, etc...and popped in their favorite Bon Jovi cd, mp3, whatever and rocked out to the real thing.

As far as tribute bands go, if you're gonna call yourself a tribute to anyone...you better be able to bring it! Next week we're going to watch Voodoo Blue (Stevie Ray Vaughan tribute)....if they can't bring it, and bring it good.....it could get ugly.

It did get me thinkin' on a spiritual level also though. As a Christ-follower am I bringing it every day? Do people see my life and know who I'm trying emulate, or am I a terribly lame copy? Am I paying tribute to the God who has rescued me and set me free, or am I just pointing people to me?

We're charged with using our lives as examples, salt and light, to lead others into a relationship with Christ. I can't be Jesus, but I can encourage people to go and seek the "real thing" by giving them a good look at how He has impacted my life and influenced me.

Random Thoughts

Is this shirt really necessary?
Am I the only person that knows someone that resembles each character on the show King of the Hill?


Where is Howard Jones?
I'm out!

1 comment:

Mary Mc said...

In reading the blogs on Colombia, I scrolled down and caught this pic of Howard Jones. Did you know before he was a musician, he was a clothing designer in Paris - can not recall which house he worked for (way too many years ago!)

Loved his voice.

Mary Mc