these are absolutely my opinions and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Still Water Community Church.

Monday, March 29, 2010

Spring forward......

So my middle kid is about to start driving. She's had her permit now for about 5 months, so end of April she gets to take her drivers test. Here's the awesome thing about that. Recently, Texas law changed back to kids having to take the drivers test with a state trooper in the car with them. Greatness!!!

I remember taking my drivers test with Sergeant Paris in the car with me. It was so intimidating! Parallel parking between two cones with tennis balls perched on top of them.... you knock one off.... you're done. Talk about white knuckling the steering wheel.

Recently, she confused the gas pedal and brake pedal while backing out of a parking space at the mall. I'm not sure who was more scared, my wife or the person stopped and waiting for the spot. I'm really glad I wasn't with her.

My son has let me know that he's not nervous about learning how to drive because he's played a lot of Need for Speed on the xbox. I think he meant that to be comforting, but we'll see. He does seem to have the advantage sometimes in the common sense arena. My wife calls him our last great hope!

This time of year brings about the desire, and in some cases, the need for change. To get things in order.... tidy up a bit. This year is a little different around here because our oldest is graduating high school. I'm not sure I'm ready for it, even though I act like I am. She's my baby. And now there are days I look at her and wonder when she got so grown up.

I'm sure two years from now when the next one graduates we'll be a little more ready in terms of time lines, preparation, etc...but I don't know that I'm ready for any of them to be on their own. I know that we've tried to prepare and teach them, but now we actually have to let them make decisions and stuff. That's hard.

Yes, these are changing times. Big changes. Life changes. Not so sure I'm ready for springing forward and such. Right now.... slowing down sounds real good.

I am gonna change her room to a man cave when she leaves though....

I'm out.

No comments: