these are absolutely my opinions and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Still Water Community Church.

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Change of Plans

Well....I was going to write about waking up yesterday and finding that my garage door had been left open all night. When I found it....the fact that we had slept all night with the garage open, and the vulnerability of my family at that time scared me. I had this really deep thought that compared it to leaving our hearts and minds open, but not knowing we're doing it, and our own vulnerability in those times......it was gonna be awesome! But then we got a call....


CPS took my niece away from her mom (Kelly's sister) and the options were stay with us or foster care. So.....we now have a 3-year old living with us for a time yet to be determined. It's been a long time since we've had one that young, and I didn't think I would be doing it again. She is a precious little thing, but has not been given much of a chance in her 3 years.


I'm not sure where to go from here.....my brain is still processing all of this. We had a long talk with my sister-in-law yesterday before we brought the baby home. It was a real challenge trying to be honest with her without letting my down right anger over her selfishness show through.......


You know.....nothing was taken, no one was hurt, nothing was destroyed, or anything when my garage door was left open all night. Maybe it was symbolic..... opening up the door to our family for this little baby will allow God to begin His work in her and her mom. Does it leave us vulnerable? Yes. Inconvenienced? Yes! A little nervous? More than a little.


But we are protected by a loving God who is the defender and protector of the fatherless, and who rescues the weak and needy.............so my family gets the chance to be Jesus to someone. I get it....it's not all about our life and comfort zone.


I'm out....





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Doug. Once again your writing amazes me. The door was open, and in walked an angel.

You need to be published.

Lynn Reichl