these are absolutely my opinions and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Still Water Community Church.

Sunday, May 13, 2007

aches and pains

For months I've been looking forward to the Brad Paisley Bonfires and Amplifiers Tour. The concert was last night and we had tickets for the whole family.

I've been working with kids for 20 years, so I'm not at all oblivious to the things that go on and some of the stupid decisions we all make as teenagers. This, however, went beyond the scope of bad decisions by kids alone and into the decisions of parents and some of the freedoms they give their kids.

In our service this morning, Keith spoke about parents forcing their kids to grow up too quickly and some of the lifelong effects it can have on their ability to handle choices and consequences. My heart hurts for some of these kids and their inability to realize their own vulnerability. Some of them try so hard to fit in with everyone else while claiming to stake a claim to their independence and freedom. The smoking, drinking, clothes, how they interact all scream...I want to be grown up! But yet, they are in no way ready to handle the things of the adult world. Evidenced by their inability to control their alcohol consumption, their hormones, their mouths, etc...

I don't know if it is their perception of what being an adult looks like is warped by the adults that are present, or conveniently not present in their lives, or if they're just following suite with all of the other independent, free-thinking, non-conformist conformists in their herd.

Kids look for and long for structure in their lives. They want someone to give them a story worth living in....a story they belong in and can star in as themselves. When not provided with these kinds of environments by their parents, they will create their own story. I pray that I am creating a story that my kids want to live, star, and thrive in.....and when they do make a bad decision, that their cast of supporting characters are ones who point them in the right direction.

There is so much more to say about this.....not enough space. My heart hurts.......I'm out.

No comments: