these are absolutely my opinions and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Still Water Community Church.

Saturday, May 19, 2007

For The Birds

There it was......a baby blue jay sitting in the back of my truck. Somehow he/she had gotten itself into the bed of my truck and could not fly well enough to get out. With his eyes, he pleaded for help....but it was a total set-up.

As I leaned over the side of the truck to get him I noticed momma sitting about head high on a branch 25 feet away. And she had friends....two of them. I felt like Dr. Grant in Jurassic Park...surrounded by raptors ready to pounce. The little one fluttered to the other side of the truck. I walked around to the other side, looked up, and the raptors had moved closer...and they were talking to each other.

I finally realized, with the help of my daughter Brooke, that I was going to have to get into the bed of the truck to get the stupid bird. After a few minutes of chasing this thing around the bed of my truck, I finally caught it. And for the first time...it spoke...loudly. The others closed in as I jumped out of the truck, threw the baby in the general direction of the yard and sprinted around to the driver side of the truck.

This is the second time I've been attacked by birds while trying to help. My family now lovingly calls me "the bird whisperer." I'm done with being nice. From now on...you fall out of the nest, wander into the bed of my truck, porch of my house, whatever......I could care less.

Well...things to do....going to buy a bb gun. I'm out....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doug,

One time Cindi was turning the water in the front yard on or off (I can't remember). But when she bent down for the faucet she felt something hit her on the back of the head. When she picked herself up off the ground there was a Blue Jay in the tree squawking at her. It ends up there was a baby in the bushes.

Joey Burns

Anonymous said...

I think I know Doug better than he is admitting here. I can't wait for the next installment of the "bird whisperer", 'cause I know he'll try and save the next bird, too!