these are absolutely my opinions and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Still Water Community Church.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Closing thoughts on Barranquilla

Okay...so I've been home for almost a week now and I'm still trying to process everything from last week. Getting home on Saturday night has not left me much time to think about, much less write down, what I witnessed last week in Barranquilla, Colombia.

This was my second trip to Barranquilla and once again, it was incredible. It would take me a long time to write out the things I saw, felt, got to do, etc....so I've spent the last few days just trying to process a few of the major takeaways that God showed me on this trip. Of course there are the little things like being thankful that I live in a place where the bad traffic and crazy drivers are nothing compared to Barranquilla. They're not rude drivers or anything.....it's just that lanes do not matter, stop signs do not matter, tiny little taxis are everywhere, and people drive so close to each other that you could literally reach out and slap the person in or on the taxi/motorcycle next to you. But what are a couple of the bigger, spiritual takeaways?

One....I saw this last time, and even more so this time. These believers know what it looks like to come into a worship service with a heart of worship. In most cases there are no multi-media shows, air-conditioned classrooms, multi-million dollar buildings equipped with everything for our comfort and enjoyment. Some of them have bands, very good ones I might add, and sound systems, but for many it may be a singer, a conga, and nothing else....but it doesn't keep anyone from lifting their heart in worship. There is no attitude of, what are you
gonna do to impress me today? Or...I hope we're out on time. Or...what's in this for me. It's all about what I'm bringing into this service as a sacrifice and offering to God. And they just let it go. Whether it's in the street, inside a house, or wherever the "meeting place" may be......it is a place of worship and that is what is done.

There were some similarities in our church culture and the church culture there. My team was in an upscale neighborhood one day. The people in this certain area had much....nice houses, personal cars (which is much more a luxury there than here), nice things in their houses.......very comfortable lifestyles. What we found in these areas was an attitude of complacency and contentment. Many of the people saw no need for Christ because they already had everything they needed to make life comfortable. The pastor we were working with that particular day had been struggling to reach this neighborhood since he had moved there 7 months ago. We see this same attitude in our churches, if not in our own personal lives, here in the United States. It is much easier to depend on God when we have nothing than when we have much.

On that note....I heard several stories of healings and miraculous interventions of God from people in Barranquilla. Most of these stories came from people who had nothing to depend on but God for the needs in their lives. It made me wonder about the miracles of Jesus that we read about in the new testament. I would have to do a little study, but off the top of my head, many of Jesus' miracles were performed for people who had very little personal wealth to depend on for their rescue. How many times do we lean on our own abilities, personal wealth, etc..rather than place our faith in God for guidance and direction in life. So it was no surprise to find the people living in poor neighborhoods much more receptive to the message of Christ than the people who had the means to get what they "needed." That hits pretty close to home.

I am so proud of the students we had on this trip. They really stepped up, and many stepped way out of their comfort zones. The impact they had on people's lives is matched only by the impact the people of Barranquilla had on them. They learned a lot from the people we worked with, and the people they interacted with in the barrios.

It was a great trip! That's an understatement, but I don't know that there are words to describe what was seen and experienced. I'm hoping this trip becomes a staple of our student ministry summer for years to come. The relationships that were formed are key to continued ministry. This was not a trip in which a couple of humanitarian projects were started, completed, and then everyone goes home. There were relationships established between our people and the people of Barranquilla. Relationships with pastors, church members, new believers, etc...young and old, rich and poor. And relationships are a must if we hope for discipleship, and outreach to impact any community of people.

I'm happy to be home, but I look forward to my next visit with the people of Colombia. In the meantime.....taking what we learned from the churches of Barranquilla and working on my own personal attitude towards worship and keeping my heart and mind focused on Him will be how the people there continue to impact our lives here.

I'm out.....

No comments: