these are absolutely my opinions and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Still Water Community Church.

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Last Day in the Field

Today was our last day out in the field. We were back in the same barrio as yesterday, but this time we actually go to go into the "dangerous" areas. The principal of the school allowed their 7th graders to leave class and walk with us through the neighborhood. They were going to houses and getting the people in them to come and listen to us. It was great! This neighborhood was full of kids! It was crazy!

I had the chance to sit down with one family that was really funny. The mom has 3 kids..two teenage daughters and an 11 year old son. She said her teenage daughters drive her crazy because they are always going places and they think they know everything....sound familiar moms and dads? At that moment the grandmother spoke and said....but i carry a big stick....literally (you can see it in the pic below). !

The younger lady in the pic told me an interesting story about leakage from her breast that made things rather uncomfortable but my translator handled things very well. Yesterday I had a lady breast feeding in front of me as I spoke to her and her husband. Kind of strange but I just maintained lots of eye contact with the husband.

The school we have been basing out of the last two days has been great! Today one of the teachers, Carlos, took me on a brief motorcycle tour of the city. AWESOME!!
The traffic in Barranquilla is crazy and the drivers are even crazier. It's a place where lanes do not matter and everyone is just jockin' for position, ignoring stop signs, squeezing into spaces......crazy. Better than any roller coaster i have ever been on in my life.

This was a great barrio. We saw over 300 people give their lives to Christ in two days. Of course part of that is us getting to speak to an entire school, but still. These were some of the nicest people I have ever been around.

The Firewheel students have been doing great! They have got lots of stories to share when we get home so just be ready. I'm going to let them talk Sunday night at Amp'd. They have each had the opportunity to speak in front of their churches along with speaking to individuals all week long. They have done an incredible job! I am really proud of the way that they have stepped out of their comfort zones and responded to this call. I am certain they will want to return the next time.

Tomorrow is our off day, so we're headin' out to a beach and a market place. And then we cap the day off with our Victory Service. Each barrio our team has been in is invited to attend so it should be pretty big.

It has been a great week, but I miss my family. Most of the others do too. I'm looking forward to the trip home and getting to tell all the stories from an incredible week.

Moment of the Day:

*has to be the look on my translator's (Laura) face when I asked her what the lady had just said when she was telling us about her breast leaking. She really didn't want to translate that info.

21 Days till Cowboys kickoff.....

I'm out

3 comments:

Pen to Paper; Spirit to Soul said...

Doug, thanks for keeping us updated! Sounds like the way was prepared for y'all in some areas of the city!!! So cool that Carolina could be a part of it!!! Looking forward to y'all coming home!!!

Pamela

Dorothy Bethel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dorothy Bethel said...

Hi, Doug! Your week sounds great, I loved reading the blogs. It was so great that you went back to some of the places where we went last October!
Hey, is Alfred there as one of the translators? If so, please say hello for me!
God willing, I'll be back again this October!
God bless you! You are doing such a great work in leading the youth of FC!