these are absolutely my opinions and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Still Water Community Church.

Thursday, October 27, 2005

A great day...

Have you ever had one of those days where you feel like everything you did was productive. It has definitely been that kind of day around here. Maybe that has to do with the fact that everybody has the Thursday off except for me and Jay. We just got so much done and it was great.

The one negative happened when I put up my 2006 wall calendar. I began to fill in personal dates such as birthdays, etc...and I got to my oldest daughter Ashli's birthday in December, and I had to write in the number 15. Say it ain't so.......

You know what's funny.....When I was a coach and teacher I would run into parents constantly that would want to talk to me about school, all that's wrong with education, and what to do about their kid. I couldn't change the subject, get away, or divert their attention so that I could run. But now as a "pastor," and I use that term lightly, just the mention of my job gets the subject changed quite quickly. Just this morning, I was working out and the guy waiting to get on the bench press was talking to me as I was lifting. We talked football for a long time, and then he asked what I did now that I was out of coaching. I told him I was a student pastor, and his next question was "what kind of mp3 player you got?" The lady on the treadmill next to mine asked me what I did for a living? I guess she couldn't tell that I wasn't exactly at a time I could discuss such things without sucking the air out of the room between each syllable, so I said "I......am......a........youth pastor." "Do you have that thing on an incline?" she replied.

Of course there are people that want to give you their dissertation on what they think of the church. I love hearing all of the different takes on church, church people, church music, church food, church carpet, church parking, church finances, and all of the other church stuff. It's fun.

Well...I'm off to a high school football game tonight. Rowlett v. Garland for the district 11-5A championship. It should be great. I'm sure I'll get into some good conversations about what I left teaching at Rowlett to do..........I just hope that the people who get uncomfortable talking to me about my job get convicted by God of why it is they feel uncomfortable talking about the God that gave them the breath I just sucked out of them.

I'm out....
Here are some pictures from our jr. high halloween party......


Caroline the Chicken!

"Best Costumes"












1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey dad! gr-8 pics! i figured out that to leave a comment on my xanga that you have to have a xanga! so ya! well maybe u can get a xanga, which is betta than a blog! l0l!
-Ashli-
*Love ya*